Thursday, December 21, 2006

War..Huh..Good God Y'all...What's It Really Good For?


Han. War is good for Han. Lots and lots of Han - ancestral regret and misery. Try to look it up in Wikipedia. The picture above is of the Brothers Statue. One is a North Korean Soldier, the other Southern. They meet on the battlefield and embrace. The crack in the dome they stand on represents the divided country, other various symbols surrounding the dome represent hope for reunification.

I had my fill of Han for a long time. I thought I selected a historical art museum but instead it was the War Memorial Museum. Yes...it was in English and yes...I wasn't paying attention. $3 and you get all the information you want on the Korean War and various military branches. The first two floors I checked out...until I got this heavy and dark feeling inside. Humanity is horrible! Why do we kill each other? Stop the insanity! I zoned out the 3rd floor and the outdoor displays, various hall monuments. I was War-n Out. (Tom Hungate would appreciate that one!)

A couple of things that stick in my mind: How refugees survived and General MacArthur. Remember the military stew I talked about? Well, this museum put many things into perspective. That military stew was desperation. I mean...these Koreans had nothing. They were bombed out and depleted. Since the people eat mostly veggies..and since most of the country was bombed there was nothing to eat. I think only Busan, the sea coast town that was never taken by the North, may have fared better than those in Seoul.

Imagine, Seattle buildings bombed to the ground and thousands of people living in makeshift 'tents' in the remains of those buildings. I know that this scene happens all over the world. That is why my heart was very heavy.

Then we read about MacArthur - and I must say...America is awesome! Except, I was confused by the Presidents reasons for pulling MacArthur out. The General wanted to bomb Manchuria - you know...all those Chinese soldiers flooding Korea? But we decided no. I want to read more about this when I come home. Also, the day the North invaded the South...the Southern Government took all their soldiers off "Emergency Vigilance." And sent them on extended holiday.

EMERGENCY VIGILANCE!!! Holiday? Vacation? You got to be kidding???? I was dumbstruck! Doesn't that sound really odd to you? I got to read more on this...after I pet my Shih Tzu, eat some chocolate cake, smell the clean Pullman air and thank God for my life. Then I can handle more Korean War history.

After the museum - we got lost in Namdemun. No cute stores to be had.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

absolutly nothing!
K.G.B.