Thursday, December 21, 2006

Noodle Alley

We were only lost for like, 30 minutes. Did I scare you? :)

We met up with Jun in the largest market I've been to. Nam-De-Mun market. It is open during the day, closes around 4pm and reopens at midnight to 3 am for retailers. Yet, you, if you have the skill and blend in...can buy lots of stuff, super cheap after midnight.

For those you know me, I start shutting down at 10:30pm. So no midnight market for me. Plus, I am on a budget and don't need 5 of anything - no matter how cheap, right now. Perhaps later, when I return to Korea and my Mother. Besides, the market was open now and I could still buy many things. Skirt, apron, ginseng root mud mask, wooden sword...

All that shopping, and all those people, exhausted us so we looked for a place to eat. Out of the corner of our eyes a small clearing led to a narrow alley. It was as if a cold winter wind blew us in. Literally, it did blow us into this alley. It was very cold that day. We looked up and 30 women, 15 on each side of the "alley" stood before us. Each women in her own, 5 ft. kitchen. This was Noodle Alley. There were customers sitting on stools - think of an old fashion soda shop, now take away the chrome, funny hats and nice fella winking at you. Replace this with steam, slurping noises and very aggressive women screaming at you. Noodle Alley. Each woman is competing for you, she screams OVER HERE...Service here! In English...just in case Japanese too. I heard, SIT HERE NOW!!! I COOK YOU!

What? Oh. She'll cook for me.
They grab for you - sometimes pulling your back pack in their booth direction. MY GOD! I was thrilled and scared. What the heck was going on here?
Customers didn't notice the commotion, and kept slurping up their noodles. Each booth is a little different and offers something a little special. Each booth has a name and how many years they have been in service. The youngest was 5 years, the oldest 40.
Did you see Labyrinth? With David Bowie? Remember the tunnel with the hands grabbing the girl and lifting her up, then down? Noodle Alley.
We made it to the end of the alley. I turned around and the ladies started to motion for me again. I really wanted to turn my back...the turn around again to see if they would stop...then start yelling. But instead I said Thank You really loud in Korean and bowed, then chose the lady next to me. She gave us special service - 3 bowls of Udon noodles, 3 sides of hot spicy noodles; all for $7. It was FABULOUS! Jun asked if we could tip her. She was surprised and giggled and we gave her a $1. You just don't tip here, even if you want to. Jun says tipping is OK in Western hotels and high class places but not anywhere else.

While we ate, some Japanese tourists came into Noodle Alley. The screaming started - in Japanese! The young women were dressed like cartoons. Cat ear headband, one in a big fluffy white fur coat, leg warmers striped blue and red and high heels. Long fingernails, glitter on the eye lids. It was a fun sight! Then...they sat down and the gossip between the ladies near our booth started. Apparently, the Japanese women asked for a discount. The Korean food vendors were laughing at them because it is a rule - discounts everywhere except food. Never ask a food vendor for a discount. Even if you know the price is high, just leave and find another vendor. Jun says the tourist agency the Japanese come here with teach them how to bargain. They teach them to always ask for a discount no matter what. I almost wonder if they do this as a big joke. It seems like Koreans love to make fun of, and overcharge the Japanese more than Westerners!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is sad that there is so much bad blood. It's so wierd to think of myself as a westerner,it's like being called a cowboy! boo boo