Saturday, December 23, 2006

Jong - I Never Knew

I learned about Korean Jong today. It is giving to others from the heart. We met a Doctor at the sauna a few days ago and had a nice conversation with him about life in Korea and teaching English. He speaks several languages and was a very nice guy. We sat while soaking our feet and chatted away, until he had to go but gave us his number and told us to meet another time at the sauna.

We met again and he bought us full body massages. WOW! I felt sort of shocked and grateful because I would never buy this for myself. He left and told us that when we were done, we had a massage waiting for us. WOW! That is Korean Jong. For no reason, he gave us a gift just because he wanted to.

All through my childhood I received Jong but didn't know it. My mother's friends would give me money randomly. They just felt like it. I'm 29 and had no idea about this process that was happening to me my whole life. You know that moment in your mind when a memory in your youth didn't make sense until your adulthood. You had the information in adulthood to finally get what happened? That 'Whoa...I get it! That's what it was all about?' moment? Jong.

So the massage was amazing. First, the Ajuma (Mrs.), who is in her underwear because the massages are given in the shower/sauna/ hot tub area...rubs you with these exfoliating gloves. All over. I had a lot of dead skin since I've never done this before. She was sort of amazed...Then you shower. Come back to the table, and she rubs oil over your entire body and does this massage - slapping, contorting, stretching...deep tissue in some spots - hand massage, foot massage...everything massaged! My favorite part was the face massage. Oh it is so nice and relaxing. Then she puts mineral mud on your face while she does some more massage with heated towels.

After that, you shower again and you are done. I felt new and never looked so...white and shiny! Shayne looked REALLY white after his exfoliating and massage! We were so thankful to our new friend for this gift!

That night, we told Jun about what happened and he said, "You experienced Korean Jong." And that is when he told me all about this concept I experienced but never knew.

No comments: