Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Our Potluck Winner


Remember our online auction back in February? It was quite the success thanks to you if you participated! I am finally getting over losing my bids -
One of our winners was Mr. John Salancy! He won the Northwest Public Radio potluck. On Aug. 25th we prepared our best for him and his guest, Diane. Picture above.



What we ate: Homemade bread by Gillian Coldsnow (which was also an auction item you could have won!)She also prepared fresh tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella salad. We had Robin Rilette's Green Bean Casserole; Sue Sheppard made an amazing salmon salad; Laura Hartner made a FABULOUS caramel, toffee bundt cake; Tom Hungate brought lentil chili. I can't remember who made the Cornish Hen Fajitas or the crisp and refreshing cucumber bean medley. I brought meatloaf and turkey basil sandwiches.


By that I mean a meatloaf sandwich from the cookbook, Meals Men Like (what a kick!) and a Turkey sandwich with my very own basil and tomatoes; tomatoes I got from Ellensburg's Tomato Man.

Did I bake my own bread too? Like Gillian? Uhm...yeah. I also grew my own wheat and made my own flour! HA! Take that Martha! Gillian has offered to teach me the art of bread baking. But that would take patience, and I am already developing some patience with my garden. For some reason, it is easier for me to wait 80 days for an eggplant then to bake Semolina bread. Oh, that sounds pathetic huh?

So, have these photos made your mouth water? Then you too can be at our table! Be sure to bid on the next online auction when we offer one of our potlucks ok?

P.S.
I said on the air that I would give the recipe for Sueann's surly Yum Yum recipe. It helps to use up all that Basil in the garden. NPR Commentary on Basil.
Fist full of basil (if using dry use 2 TBS.)
Fist full of sun dried tomatoes
2 cloves of fresh garlic
Optional: can of black olives, pine nuts or something else Italian-ish.
Blend/pulse together BUT NOT too much. Then add LOTS of olive oil. Dip bread in and eat. Questions about this recipe? Email me or leave comment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, so I'm a public radio manager in the Midwest who is trying to think of a good "hook" for an "end of the fiscal year" membership campaign, and I think "Potluck" (as in, every listener needs to bring something to the table). So, in googling "public radio potluck", what comes up but this blog. So, I have a question about that YUM YUM recipe (as I fully expect to be up to my parts in basil this summer). Is that fistful of sun dried tomatoes the dried up kind (presuming all that olive oil will rehydrate them)?

Sueann Ramella said...

Nice! I love you potluck analogy for fundraising! May I also suggest our stellar One Day Pledge Drives? You've probably heard about that right? Northwest Public Radio raises the pledge goal in 1 day! We've done it a few times...

To the recipe. Yes, sundried tomatoes! I do suggest watching how much you eat in one sitting. It will make your tummy way oily and you'll feel slow all day long! But your tastebuds will be happy!