Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Africa: Women and Education


In Africa, it's said if you educate a man you educate
an individual. When you educate a woman you educate a nation. This quote was on All Things Considered on Aug. 8th. Missed Education of African Girls I thought about this saying for a long time. African women are the caretakers of their families - so if they are educated then their children will be. Another thought...is this a sexist phrase? Or am I thinking this because my society has made me sensitive to sexism? (shaking my head to clear it...) Where was I? Yes. Educating girls. This piece is AMAZING! It stirs you. It makes you want to go out there and tutor! It makes you realize that ignorance is a killer.

Speaking of which...

Morning Edition NPR's Morning Edition on Aug. 9th will also feature a piece on rural Africa and women. This time it is about women dying during difficult pregnancy. I predict it will be about ignorance. How these women simply do not know what to do during their pregnancy, who to see, where to go. Unfortunately, because of the lack of education many will die and so will their babies.

No comments: