Thursday, September 27, 2007

Time to Care

Day 5: Friday. Chicken bones stink to high heaven and my plastic bag is showing signs of wear. I am pleased. I have today off to see the Fam in Puyallup. My mother will not be happy about the chicken bones so I finally find time to compost.

Time. I think that if we made sustainability easier people would do it. Imagine if we could throw all our recyclables into one bin? Someone else could sort it! Or we compost like the Koreans? They have cans just for leftovers and collect it all to feed pigs! They have these cellulose toothpicks that disintegrate and are edible (pigs).

I dug a hole into my bin, dumped the bones and some other food bits, buried it and as you see, covered it with a block. I learned from your comments about cats that dig!

Then I headed out to P-town.

Arrived. Hugs. Told Folks about the trash. Mom told me to leave it in my car. Went to the Puyallup Fair - Mom told me to leave bag in my car. Ordered a Gyro. It came with a paper plate and waxy paper. Got a coffee in Styrofoam cup. Pops and I drank smoothies made from...gasp! Real fruit! Came in a plastic cup. Mom told me to throw away my trash. I insisted. She gave me that scary Korean look. I held my ground...then THEN my Father (peacemaker) took the trash out of my hands and threw it away! Not even recycling it! He said, "Tell 'em that was my trash. I paid for it."

After he muttered something about 'earthy crunchies,' we continued on.

The Puyallup Fair does not make it easy to recycle. In fact, I do not recall many recycling bins at all. Now, Moscow! There's a town that recycles like the world is ending. I have been lectured by people my friend calls, "Recycling Nazis" before. But I would take "R.Ns" over no recycling.


Here's the Mo-Man doing his own reuse, recycling...hunting for cat poop. Dog eats steak, lamb, Gerber Ham baby food, ground beef, salmon and kibble, but hunts for poop.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! What a great idea with the big brick in the compost pile! I gotta get me one of those. Great job! And, as a woman with my own East Asian mom, I must say you did a great job holding your own. It is for sure, she loves you, and it is obvious she does not love trash, yours or anyone elses too. :) Go with your bad self E.C. hippy!

Anonymous said...

I often get told I have a degree in "Tree Hugging" (Environmental Science). I love that your parents are calling you earthy crunchy! That is too funny! Hope you had a good time at the fair anyway:)

Anonymous said...

One bin recycling concept...this is interesting and there are economics to back up the idea. In L.A. the garbage and recycle drivers are paid lots of money (trained, licensed, probably unionized, etc.) to drive the trucks so that to pay them at that rate to sort the recyclables into a truck is a poor use of money. They just dump the recycle bin into the truck and it all gets sorted out back at the center by people who are paid a much lower hourly rate. And the customers don't have to sort anything in their bin either.