Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I Want to Say One Word To You. Just One Word

Plastics.

I have noticed that most of my garbage (Day 3) is coming from plastic wrap. I'm not sure what to do with Saran wrap coated with food. This morning I thought about wrappin my melon in wrap. Then I decided to cut it up and store it in a reusable plastic container. Score! Notice the lack of meat. One commentator suggested going Vegan. I did it for lunch.


All this has me thinking. What can we do with plastic bags?
Plastic Bag Chair


Plastic Evening Bag


Plastic Bag Crafts



I also found a Safeway plastic bag dress (shudder) and various plastic bag toy animals No lead paint in them I'm sure!

I took the advice from commentators and am composting Mochi's poo. I have yet to boil my chicken bones down and compost them...thus the eerily delicious decomposing dinner smell in my purse.


I forgot my hankie today. Notice the tissue box in my purse. Thank goodness for recycling!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL, I love the purse trash bag! That is awesome you went vegan for lunch, and that makes very little waste.

Yes, the plastic wrap issue is a toughy. So many products and even grocery stores wrap everything, including veggies. Why, I don't know) What are you going to do? What can we do?

Tess Vigeland asked for people doing their own trash challenge to sign in and comment about how it is going.
http://www.publicradio.org/columns/marketplace/trash/

I love your experiement!

Anonymous said...

If plastic grocery bags are your problem, check the bottom. My grocery bags are recyleable. But, I'm shopping at Kroger in Michigan:) Safeway used to have a box near the door to recycle grocery bags...or you could get paper:)
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Plastic, ick. It's been the wonder compound since the 50's. You can find the chemical fingerprint of plastics in water and soil, and worse yet these compounds are often estrogen mimickers which are starting to get blamed for hormonal imbalance and mutations in humans and animals.

However, I think I heard on NPR it takes less energy to make a plastic bag over a paper one. I wash and reuse what I can, stuffing the old bags in my reusable tote.

I'm sure there could be some policy initiatives to influence packaging.