Friday, September 14, 2007

My Garbage Challenge




I’m going to carry around my garbage for a week.

I was inspired by Marketplace's Tess Vigeland who is hauling her household garbage with her for two weeks. Hear Tess talk about this challenge: Garbage Challenge

Tess is doing it for 2 weeks. I will not set myself up for failure and have changed some of the rules.

1. I will carry my household/office trash for 1 week.
2. I will be recycling or composting EVERYTHING I can!
3. I’m going to modify my eating and shopping to keep the trash down.

I have a feeling I will still be carrying a lot of garbage. Oh Crap! I have a dog. Good thing he is a Shih Tzu…I have to figure out how to compost his nuggets.

Wish me luck and I’ll take photos!

UPDATE: 9/17/2007 10:25am
I made it 10 hours without generating any garbage. Then...I watered my office plants and to dry my hands I automatically reached for the paper towels! NOOO! Do I recycle this? Can I compost this? Thom heard my gasp and suggested I reuse it until it dispears. Then...without really thinking I blew my nose in it. Thom was mortified. "Well, now try and wipe things up with it!" So this makes me think of two things.
1. Paper towels make terrible hankies. I need to use that hankie a dear friend gave me...
2. Dish towel
My first piece of garbage is a paper towel.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heyyy... what IS that smell?

Oh that's just Sueann, lugging around her garbage.

Pass the Lysol.

Do I have to sit next to her?


Good luck with your challenge.

Unknown said...

Girl, you go with your bad self! I am so cheering for you! I heard the Tess Vigeland piece on NPR, and thought it was a great idea! I am so glad you are doing it! The chicken bones stink bad after just 1 day, so my thought was to go completely vegan for the 2 weeks. That way all waste is compostable!

Good luck and I will continue to check in on your progess!

Anonymous said...

I think this fake garbage penance thing is full of, well you know what. Here's why: so, last eve, as you're complaining about the smell of chicken bones, you mention spraying the place w/Lysol--which is a dilution of the major environmental pollutant, creosote, a long-acting and very toxic environmental PAH and multiply toxic in many ways causing deformities in herring embryos as well as being carcinogenic to humans. And this is how human beings are when they take it into their heads to "think globally and act locally." They resort to things that'll screw up the environment even more.

And please--stop the D. Sedaris commercials (and that's exactly what they are ads--or at least the Billie Holiday imitation ones). I'm so sick of 'em I could scream.

And yes, I'm listening more and more to CBC Radio 2 these days.

Lj on the strait