Tuesday, September 18, 2007

NO! Chicken Bones, Napkins and My Competitive Nature

Day 2: I'm still alive. I now have a little bag of garbage. It irritates me.


So far I have learned that I grab tissues and napkins like dogs grab tennis balls. So, I hand washed a hankie (which was given to me so I didn't have to purchase it and create a receipt AND...the best part...was left behind by a hippie with dreadlocks on a hiking trail.) and am going to buy cloth napkins.
This is making me think a lot about what I use and my habits. Oh! And I have confirmed that I am ever so slightly competitive. My goal is to generate the lease amount of trash EVER. So when I cooked dinner and realized I used up all my rice noodles, thus, leaving behind a plastic bag, which I don't think is recyclable, I was pretty hard on myself!



Thinking about what I am eating is not new to me. Some of you know about my food allergies. However, thinking about the packaging and bones involved is!

But here is where the learning begins. I didn't know you could compost bones! Then I did some research:


Since then, I have learned to cook the turkey neck and make soup from it, and then, when most of the meat has been stripped, it can be buried deep within a pile in a pocket of aged material. Now I compost chicken bones, T-bones, pork chop bones, etc. with absolutely no problems at all.

Tomorrow...how to deal with Old Man The Mochi Shih Tzu Poo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could flush the dog doo down the toilet, you know....I mean, you're not saving ALL your personal...er...waste, are you? (At least, I hope not!)

And if you cook chicken bones long enough, they become really soft and practically disintegrate...Mochi, or a bigger dog, could make short work of that.

Keep it up, you're my hero!!

:-)

Unknown said...

A guy where I am composts bones, but his cat ends up digging up the chicken bones and eating them. The upswing for the kitty is that she has really great fur and teeth quality.

It is so interesting that you blog about your experiment!

Anonymous said...

I know of an organic farm with 7 malamutes. They make "mutepost" which they put on flower beds. The city of Lewiston makes compost out of human waste, so why not. How's that for turning crap into roses?

Way to go, thanks for sharing! ;)

Anonymous said...

If you want to go the full Monty, seek the prophet, Joseph Jenkins. You'll be able to re-use all of your Shih Tzu, too.