Thursday, July 31, 2008

Biking to Work

It seems we are all driving a little less nowanddays. A recent report says we are driving 40 BILLION fewer miles now. Are others biking? Or are we walking more? Hear the report: Less Driving, Bumpy Roads
I am thinking a lot more about my transportation. Which is why I decided to bike to work at least twice a week. I haven't been that successful though. New habits take time and well...biking takes time. Personally, life has been telling me to slow down so this may be a good thing to do. I budget an hour to ride to work.





Here is my ride. A nice black Trek bike. I know it is somewhat special because some dudes have said, "Nice bike!" and I paid $500 for it. It was part consumer therapy.

In a recent report on Northwest Public Radio we learned that Washington has one of the highest skin cancer rates in the nation! I was surprised and decided to reduce my risk by preparing myself for biking in the sun! Hear the report: EPA Warns Residents to Protect Themselves from Sun



And I need tunes.



I find I can ride faster with the beats of Janet Jackson, Queens of the Stone Age, Muse, Kanye West, Fergie. I cool down with Micheal McDonald. I am very serious.



8 miles to go. Tunes on. Gear on...I do wear the padded shorts. I find these VERY comfortable! My father took up biking and refers to the shorts as Kotex Pants. He loves them.

I pass some buildings that you don't get to see when you drive. That's the cool part about biking. You see different things. Below is an old split pea factory? They are dismantling it and it seems to me they are recycling the wood!



5 more miles to go!



I watch some cars drive by on the highway. I am totally getting better gas mileage!



Riding is very pleasant. You are multi-tasking! Exercise and getting where you need to go!



Here we are! Pullman, Washington where Northwest Public Radio is!


Check this out! It makes me feel good to know that I saved a little money today and gave my body some exercise.



Isn't it interesting that a few dollars a gallon can create change? 40 Billion miles less driving, more people thinking about their transportation...What have you changed about your habits?



I made it! And a little early because of a tail wind! I usually carry a bag on bike that has my lunch and a nice change of clothes. While I look sporty in my Kotex Bike Shorts...I don't want my co-workers to sing Milli Vanilli to me!

3 comments:

Marie Glynn said...

Absolutely hilarious, Sueann. Kotex shorts!!!!

Marie

Anonymous said...

Love this story,keep em trekin...
Bridget

Mike G. said...

The shorts comment cracked me up...Mainly because it sounds like something my dad would say.