Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Dating at Any Speed


I heard Morning Edition's story on Green Speed Dating and had a few thoughts.
1. Driving an SUV to Green Speed Dating? Really bad.
2. Isn't finding a partner/love hard enough? Now they have to come with green habits intact?
3. My Speed Dating experience.

It goes without saying that driving an enormous SUV to a Green Speed Dating event is not gonna get you points. Even if you hop out of the vehicle with organic cotton clothes, hemp sandals and your own metal water bottle. That would just be confusing. But this did make me wonder... would it be appealing to a majority of females if the man had no car? One of the guys in the story rents a car when he needs one. Otherwise, he rides his bike. My first thought is: Guy is cheap. No car, no money, no security for me, no go. But he is practicing his ideals.

And ideals and values is what it is all about. Does his lifestyle reflect the ideals and values that you have or want? What is on your top ten list of "Characteristics I Want in a Partner?" (If they have 7 or more they're a keeper!)

I think that becoming "Green" can be taught. That a person can become aware of new habits to help the environment. That people should not be overlooked just because their environmental footprint is bigger than yours. My Mother would say you can "train" them. (shudder) I say you can show them a different way.

I hosted a speed dating event in my little town. There were 12-14 men and women in attendance. I had never hosted one of these before, so I was unsure what type of people would show up.

They were attractive, had secure jobs, and friendly! They all just wanted to get out there in a town that caters to college students. These folks were in the 30s-late 40s and just wanted to find companionship. I discovered that the women who came to the event dressed nicely, smiled and were RELAXED did very well. The successful men had nice watches (symbol?) cleaned up and asked their mini dates questions about themselves. The two most successful people were of average American size. The woman was a size 10-14 and the man was an average Joe body type. This confirmed in me that self worth, self esteem and taking care of yourself is more important than abs and hourglass shapes. I have to add that taking care of yourself does not mean you workout 5 days a week. It means you CARE about how you look and work with what you got.

The one person who had no takers was unpleasant. She looked like she rolled out of bed, was very pushy and angry - I heard her declare her recent divorce to most of her mini dates...I don't think she was really ready for dating of any speed...even bicycle speed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this post was interesting and hilarious. I'm a big new fan.

Anonymous said...

yes speed dating is hot but slow dating is very beutiful.
Russian Women