Thursday, August 07, 2008

Biking Goal and Gas Mileage

Well I made my goal! I rode my bike twice this week and really want to do more! Especially since I got in my Hyundai Tuscon (Gotta support my Mother's homeland) this morning and the E light came on. I thought that was funny. Then I was upset that I would have to buy gas today!

But got over it since the last time I gassed up was a month ago! 300 miles divided by 15 gallon tank = 20 miles to the gallon. A little lower than normal because I had the AC on a lot. 15 gallons times $4.16 = $62 which translates into 12 pints of Coconut Bliss Dark Chocolate ice cream.



Trust me. I can eat it all in a month.



Or a pair of Reeboks! I SO had a pair in 1989! But why buy these when I can find them in a dumpster?

So I saved some money this past month and got great exercise. When I do drive, I keep it at 55-60 mph. It really does help to hypermile. If you didn't read Gillian's blog about it, check it out! And it does help to properly inflate your tires!

Here's an interesting consequence for driving slower! Many drivers are hypermiling and leaving something behind! Don't drink the 'vitamin water' on the side of the road!

2 comments:

Mrs. Deering said...

I've been riding my bike to work too! I live less than a mile from work, so it's not bad at all. It's hard to pick up my curb treasures while on a bike though!

Anonymous said...

A great program to keep track of your gas mileage:

GasDandy is an easy-to-use tool that tracks a vehicle’s mileage and maintenance information, providing data that can be used for both business and personal purposes. By making these figures readily available, the program also gives the consumer the opportunity to save money and to proactively identify problems that can shorten the life of their vehicle(s). Download a free trial version of GasDandy today at http://www.gasdandy.com