Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Robin Rilette's Dumpster Diving Education



Robin: (giggling) "I did some scanning and already found some nice shoes, a handbag and other stuff! We have to go back to that dumpster!"

Robin met me after I finished hosting All Things Considered. I looked at her treasures and noticed the fake Chanel, white, gold chained handbag.

Sueann: "OMG! This is Chanel...fake but sweet!"
Robin: "And look at this cute stuffed cow!"
Sueann: "OK. This was an Asian dumpster. I can tell."
Robin: (curious at my insight) "Oh really? How do you know?"
Sueann: "Saccharin cute overstuffed cow? Fake Chanel, fabulous shoes? Has to be. The only thing that would confirm is a Hello Kitty item..."
Treasure Diving Partner: "Well, then I guess that blows your theory that Asians never throw anything away huh?"
Sueann: (choosing words carefully) "....Well. My mother is Asian and SHE never throws anything away. OK let's get busy!"



Robin was thrilled. She was amazed and upset at what she saw. We hit her dumpster and happen to be by a couple of Sororities. We found beautiful clothes and decoration items. Bags and bags full of shampoo and other cosmetic products - which we left behind.

Robin: "OMG! What is wrong with these people???? This is brand new!"
Sueann: "Shhh! Keep it down man. We don't want to be discovered. "
Robin: "Oh right. I guess I should keep my voice down..."



I went to another dumpster and found some adorable throw pillows. Nicely packed in garbage bag. The dumpster smelled so pretty! Calvin Klein, Bath and Body Works Peony, Liz Claiborne perfumes swirling in garbage. Then I looked up and saw a very disapproving old man. He was standing above me with his arms folded, shaking his head at me. I smiled and shrugged, grabbed the pillows and headed back to where Robin was.



Sueann: "Time to leave. Let's go. There's and old man watching us."

Robin had a very successful first night out and I do believe she has gone out by herself since! She said to me in a giggle, "This is the most exciting hobby I've had in years!"



TDP and I went across the border to Idaho. College was out there and we wanted to see what we could find. Compared to Washington's side - nothing to write about.

I also went to visit family in Puyallup. Took Dad out at 5:30am to see what we could find. I had high hopes for this because of the insane amount of strip malls and major shopping centers.

Nothing. Bone dry.

Dad: (laughing) "It's like going trick or treating and getting an apple out here!"
Sueann: "I am really bummed out man. I really thought we could find some sweet stuff."

Mother: "I didn't tink so baby. Mommy know. In country side (anything on the East of the Cascades) it is more lenient. Here. They lock up. No home-uh-less person digging here."

She was right. We drove to 3 strip malls and one major shopping center and I would say 80% of the dumpsters were locked or of some trash compacting type. Those that were open were filled with real trash.

Of coarse - the rule of dumpster diving is you must visit a dumpster often.

I will let you know how much I make off ebay and or Craigslist when I put things up for sale. I am curious to find out how much one can make, donate and create with this hobby.

NOTE: Our Dear Ms. Coldsnow is lucky. She has biological minions to dive for her - patrolling locations, gleaning treasures! I just want you to know that our Morning Edition host caught the bug too! ;)

UPDATE: Guess what I found? Remember how upset I was about losing a dresser? I left it in an alley and someone took it? Well. I found another one on my way to work! SCORE!



And my TDP was about to buy a used microwave for $20 when I found this for him! Ask and you shall recieve! It was bleeding red sauce but with a little elbow grease we discovered a perfecly fine microwave.



Stories on NPR: Dumpster Diving Treasures as Gifts?

LISTENER CONTRIBUTION: Lisa from Moscow sent me this picture of her dumpster finds!

No comments: