Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Watch Out for Scams and Bad Grammar


I am looking for a new home for my two cats. I've placed ads on Petfinder and Craigslist. You would expect scams and scuzballs to prey on craigslist, but petfinder? I'll get to that in a second.

My Folks told me about a lady who lost a few thousand in a craigslist scam. She was sent a check for some furniture, deposited it at the bank and proceeded to wire a moving company $ to send the furniture. Well, the moving company was fake. The check didn't clear. She was out a lot of dough. Here's a similar story

Not long ago, I had furniture for sale on craigslist. I got a similar response as the story above - in fact, I got a $3,000 check! But my buffet was only $200. Everyone at the office knew it was a scam. So did I because of my news junkie parents. I took the check to the bank and they gave it to the FBI.

Back to my cats. I got this email. It upsets me that they would go after people with pets...they mention petfinder. First, who would ship their pet like this? Second, my pets are not for sale. Finally, what's with the English?

Sir/ma
am Tori Scott writing from Philadelphia,PA, i came across your advert on pet finder concerning your pet,which i will like to adopt for my sick daughter who lost her pet{sholly},in a train accident when she was away for a vacation with her friend, and as a result of this her companion{sholly} died by shock.and this had also make my daughter found her self on a sick bed in the hospital,But thank God she getting better but she will never stop crying,thinking and fighting every one because of her lost companion,Mean while i promise her to get another lovely pet for as long as she can assure me a quick recovery from her sickness and thinking, so this had make me contact you about your advert to know if he/she {pet} is still available and i will like to know your asking price $$?..while i will also need to know if he/she is up to her date with her shot....? neutered....? de-wormed....?, i will also like to know if he/she is a indoor/outdoor pet...?, and how old is the pet, and how long have you been with her, and i will like to know your reason for letting him/her go?....please get back to me with all the question as well as your asking price,Mean while i want you to know that i will be responsible for the transportation for him/her from your location to our home at my own expensis okay?..Note my form of payment will be a certified check


Sick daughter? From PA and looking at a Pullman, Washington ad for a cat? Get a free kitten at the local humane society Tori Scott! And take your daughter to the hospital...and one more thing! Spellcheck and you may get more people to fall for it!

Be careful dear listeners.


P.S. Day 3 water conservation: I'm beginning to feel guilt for the amount of water I drink.