Monday, November 19, 2007

My Bangs, Spaghetti Sauce and Beans



The first day of my water conservation challenge is going well. No shower. Instead, washed my bangs in the sink. Why do bangs get so greasy so fast? Oh right! They rest on my forehead. Afterwards, I felt good. I used what I needed and curbed my excess.

I saw this video on water conservation and laughed!

With this video in mind, and the story on Marketplace about celebrating American excess and charity. I started thinking about our Food Banks.

I called the Walla Walla Food Bank and asked what were their most needed items. Spaghetti's sauce! That surprised me. It was also what I ate for lunch. It was also in that video...he was washing dishes with spaghetti sauce.

Here was their list: Holiday foods, spaghetti sauce, pasta, cereal, peanut butter, and for areas with a higher Hispanic population - beans. Bottom line - food banks need protein.

So with my conservation - I am also looking at my excess. What can I give so others have what they need?

List of Washington Food Banks
List of Idaho Food Banks
List of Oregon Food Banks