Monday, July 30, 2007

Racism, Football and My Weekend


Did you hear this? I was just...shocked! Beating Charges Split Town Along Racial Lines
I know I shouldn't be so naive but I found myself talking to my Klotz Board asking, "Are we in the 60's?" Then I actually spoke out loud to the reporter..."You gotta be kidding me!?" In this day and age...I guess so.

I found it interesting that despite the clear racial problems at this school - both whites and blacks came together for football. I'm not sure if I think this is super or surreal. They were having an amazing football season, thanks mostly to the black students, so tensions didn't boil over until after the season was over.

Football either brought them together in teamwork or football was a fantastic distraction - doing well made everyone feel good and forget about skin color. Hmmm.

This story made me appreciate my weekend even more. I went to the Moscow Motorcycle Rally...a nice turn out for a first time event. There, in downtown Moscow, are bikers and across the street... a Gay Pride Parade. Ahh Moscow, you are a special place on this planet.

Oh and props to Idaho Star and my instructors who taught me how to ride! Love ya Mark n Gang!

Peace.
Sueann

1 comment:

Katja R. said...

I found the story of that town's racial problems disgusting and sad. People should KNOW better by now! Actually, I think the damage done to the kids in this kind of 'integration' is greater than the damage done by old fashioned segregation.
Hearing how the young people had to sit on separate sides of the auditorium bothered me, that they couldn't share a shady tree on a hot day bothered me, and that the school chopped down the tree bothered me. The whole damn thing bothered me.