Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Why Are Koreans Apologizing for Cho? I Sorta Know and I'm Sorry Too

I know I am late with this topic. As with our culture, we tend to forget things fast unless it is connected to E-online or complete nonesense. (I am in a serious mood today, yes, it happens.) Anyway, I was reminded of my Korean ancestry several times yesterday and this morning. That is why I felt compelled to share. My mother called me last night and we discussed Cho and how she is embarrassed and yet, she struggles with the apology from the Korean community.

My Mother: "I am American. We don't need to apologize for everything. But I also feel embarrassed. His poor parents. I feel so bad for them and the victims."

Me: "Me too mom. I feel kinda responsible and I have no idea why. Why do you feel that way?"

Mom: "Because he is Korean. But...I was also American. I dunno. I feel sad."

May I remind you of Han?

Then I had a conversation with Gillian Coldsnow about collective guilt in the Asian community. The differences between individualism of American culture and the collective thinking of most Asian cultures. We concluded that it seems to be in our genes...the collective. I just hope we are not like the Borg.

My conversation with Gillian reminded me of my ancestry. How strange it is to stand between two amazing cultures, hating and loving one or the other all the time.

Later that night, a friend said to me that it is cool I am half Asian. I suspect he meant my unique insight into things, but it could quiet possibly be my unique fashion sense and facial features.

Finally, this morning, I got a call from my Korean exchange student. He just finished some finals and had a brief moment to catch up with me. He brought up Cho and the massacre. He said to me, "I feel so ashamed. I feel so bad for his parents and for the people. Why did he have to be Korean?"

I asked him why did he feel shame?

He said, "...because I must. He (Cho)was Korean, I am Korean." Then Jun Bum, that's his name, says to me. "Nuna, (Korean for big sister) some people I met in the States have too much American spirit. I have trouble understanding them. But you have Korean spirit and you get me. We understand most of each other huh?"

I agreed. It really is in my genes.

I came across an article that sort of says it all for me.

"Even though, a group expression of regret stretched the boundary way past what is appropriate or even needed when an individual commits a monstrous crime, it ultimately served a noble purpose. It showed that Koreans as all other Americans felt the intense pain and suffering that Cho wreaked on innocents at Virginia Tech. Their regret said that the victim's suffering was their suffering too." Earl Ofari Hutchinson, New America Media.
Hutchinson's Article

Your suffering is my suffering too. It is noble.

For more on this topic read Gillian's blog entry on it.
Gillian's great blog entry on Korean apology, well done G!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our News showed us an interview with students of VT that how they feel about the murderer, they said something and it made whole Korea cry. Guess what that was Nuna~
PS I miss you so Bad it hurts.(Jun)