Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Clearwater National Forest


The past weekend I went for a little hike with some friends and coworkers! In the picture above you see myself, Laura Hartner(Ops Assistant), and Scott Weatherly(Operations Manager). Not photographed: Chuck Blessing and Kevin Anderson.

Let me tell you right now... that this was one of the best weekends of my life! The last time I did this hike I was a host mother to two teens. We took a group of exchange students up. They did well, but it took a LONG time to go up the 6 miles. Not only that, but I was a pack mule carrying a lot of gear. This time, I was with friends and had a lighter pack - though later I would learn the importance of evenly stuffing your pack.

It was perfect and beautiful! You may have read or heard the report on Bark Beetle and Budworm destroying trees in our region. Read and Listen to story here I only recall seeing a few trees slowly dying from disease. From what I could tell, it looked more like a fungal problem but I am no expert and only took one mycology class. What I am curious about though, is how likely are we to stop or even slow this process?

Speaking of stopping and slowing a process. On our way back across the Clearwater river, I froze. There I was, standing on the log "bridge" and I couldn't move.

I have done this before but there I was with my mind stuck on "DON'T MOVE!" I was embarrassed. I was curious too about what my brain was thinking...I tried to tell myself to move but nothing. I even thought about Muad'Dib:

“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.”

But then the visual of sandworms flooded my brain - which, at the time, was getting flooded by the visuals of the river...and it didn't help.

Scott offered to take my pack and I gave it to him. Then, with no problem, I crossed. He said my pack was unbalanced...So. Note to self: Learn to pack.
Despite that little episode being in the hot springs, crossing the river and hiking and hanging was great. When Gillian Coldsnow asked me about my weekend I said, "This is what I said out loud G...'I am Sueann Ramella, in the middle of the Clearwater National Forest, sitting in the Stanley Hot Springs, on a clear night and watching the stars. I LOVE MY LIFE!'"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet. Looks like a good time.

jen (husband of John with many tattoos)

Anonymous said...

It was a great trip with you Sueann, but you didn't mention anything about how much food to pack for an overnight trip like this.