Monday, November 06, 2006

Don't Look At My Ballot!




My husband looked at my ballot. It irritated me. This is a very private thing. In his defense he said, "We're married. It's ok." To which I replied, "Yes we are and no it's not."
The conversation could have ended there but he said, "You're not voting for ____? and look, you didn't vote for county auditor!"
I told him I didn't read up on the auditors so I am being responsible by not voting. And hey! It's my right to vote or not! and ... and... why am I justifying this to you?
His reply, "ok."
Good man. I was getting upset. Passionate you might say. I really don't like it making decisions without research or thinking things through.
Maybe some will say I am not a responsible voter - because I didn't do more research on candidates. Maybe I should have just selected a county auditor? Are they right?
To me, it seems responsible not to vote on things you don't understand or know about.

I once knew a man who never wanted children. He said the males in his family had mental issues and he didn't want to pass that on. I told him that he was the most responsible parent I ever met.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about not voting in ignorance.

I'm ditto about the children issue. Same with me. That was very kind to say. Others regard us as pariahs.

Have a great time in Korea!

Anonymous said...

What Charles said and I agree about the man not having kids if there's mental illness in the males of his family. I wouldn't want to force anyone to that decision, but I would like to see more people take that decision on their own!
I know too many people who have kids anyway, even knowing with certainty of major genetic problems in their families. Those people really upset me.
I wouldn't want to pass certain things on.

Sueann Ramella said...

For my friend it was a no brainer. Apparently, he was treated "poorly" by his father and grandfather. He was an older gent so maybe "poorly" was a nice way of saying abused.
It's interesting to me because having children seems like the most unselfish selfish thing you know? Giving yourself to protect and nurture another little being...yet the desire to have them...is that selfish?