Thursday, December 27, 2007

Before Christmas Says Hello, It Says BUY BUY BUY



Remember a while back I said I was going to have a "spend as little as possible"
Christmas? I think I did it. Sort of. For my father I made a "Ramella Radio Hour" cd with Holiday tunes. Hosted by Moi. He loved it! But then I bought a $10 coffee card at his favorite Barrista drive through. I didn't feel it was enough...

For my mother I made her a "Music to Paint By" cd with various Enya and Loreena songs. I also bought her a $10 purse organizer (which...oops...she already has) went in on a rock/crystal candle holder (have yet to pay my share) and bought her an electric bean sprouter machine from a Korean store. Total, including debts outstanding = $100.

For my dear friends I got some great pictures of Moscow, Idaho from the early days. Thanks to Kym at the Latah County Historical Society for her help and enthusiasm! I also made a bear out of a sock. Total = $57 Pictures, frames and sock.

I also made some bird seed wreaths = free because my neighbor provided the materials. Thanks Rhonda!

Finally, a gift for my special friend, Robin Rilette: A cd with my singing "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch." Now. This is especially special to Robin because I did it in my nerd alter ego voice. She loved it. Price = priceless!

My gifts were good. Thoughtful and nice. Yet, I felt they were wanting. It wasn't enough for me to give my mom a cd I made. I had to buy her some big ticket items. I found it interesting that while walking in the mall I had a urge to just buy things. I started to question my gift choices. Am I being cheap? Will they think I am cheap if I just give them this? Maybe I should buy a gift card to supplement.

I had to get out of the mall stat. I was starting to feel guilty for no reason.

Frankly, this has been a financially challenging year. My close friends know this and wouldn't expect me get into debt for Christmas. But there is something inside me that is so willing to do that. Why is this?

Merry Belated Christmas My Listener. Happy Late Holidays!