Friday, January 26, 2007

Save the (Insert Animal Here) But What About the Taron?


Did you hear the story of the Taron Pygmies (above) on All Things Considered? It made me think...is extinction bad? What if extinction was a choice? Are our reasons for wanting or not wanting children shallow? Listen to the story then read the excerpt I found online from Alan Rabinowitz. It is profound. Story link follows:

Taron Pygmies

"Now, in a little valley nestled in the Himalayas," he writes, "I had started to smile without knowing why, and I had started to dream of the tomorrows that could still be there. Borne on the unburdened laughter of a group of remote Tibetans, the gentle friendship of a confused monk, the unrequited love of a fatherless boy, the purposeful acceptance of a lonely death by the last Taron, and the selfless pain endured by a mother giving up her baby, my heart was lifted up through the darkness and was given back to me. For the very first time in my life, I almost felt whole."

No comments: