Thursday, February 08, 2007

Do You Know Why Fungus Grows Close Together?


They don't need much room. HAHAHA! Oh Thanks Wally McDonald in Athena! You are a charmer! I just love getting calls from listeners like him. It really makes me night here at the station. Before I share my joy of mushrooms, let me just say...if you are going to be mean and yell at me...well...then I am going to be super professional and nice to you! Then, I am going to share the crazy conversation with my friends and blog it. Anonymously, so I can keep working here.

Mushrooms. I took a mycology class here at WSU. Thanks to Dr. Lori Carris and Dr. Jack Rogers! Great class! I was left with a deep appreciation for the tiny organisms. I mean, ecosystems depend on fungus people! I wish we knew more about all of the fungus, molds and mildews!

So today, I was very excited about the Death Cap Mushroom story! Listen to this! NPR Death Cap Hunt Story I really admire the scientist who is studying these amazing mushrooms. It blows my mind that such a tiny amount of the mushroom can kill you. There was a moment while I was out hunting that I thought I found one of these Death Caps. I looked at it closely, got scared and ran away.

Laura, my coworker, gave me a wonderful mushroom gift for Christmas! It is an oyster mushroom garden! Great gift for that budding mycologist in your life! Now I hope my garden grows as well as this one!

No comments: