Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I'm Back

HI! I was vacationing over in the Seattle area. A little consumer therapy, a little time with old friends and time with the family. The traffic there killed me. Whoa. 3:30pm TRAFFIC? I am spoiled here on the East side of Washington. Traffic in Pullman lasts 10 minutes and that is at 5:30pm - a time I am never out because I am here in the studio.

I visited Mt. St. Helen's and was moved by the beauty of destruction's aftermath...and of rebirth and growth.

But let's get back to the show. I am a fan of the type of radio stories we hear on NPR that allow people to be themselves. Did you hear the story of Rocky? The teen who ...well, here is what my run down said (insider look at my materials!)

ROCKY'S REDUCTION -- Three years ago, All Things Considered aired the story of teenager Rocky Tayeh. Tayeh told the story of his battle against obesity. In high school, Rocky wore size 64 pants and weighed as much as 517 pounds. A year ago,Rocky decided his only hope of losing weight was through weight loss surgery. In this udate to Rocky's story we learn how he came to make this decision and what happened to him after his surgery. Listen to the story here: Rocky's Story

What I appreciate about radio is how we can hear people's real voices. We are not distracted by imagery forced upon us, we are not lost in the picture...but focused on the voice.

My father recently lost over 100 lbs. He did it the old fashion way, diet and exercise. He realized that his weight made him feel slow and pained. It took him about a year. My Dad shared with me that he never realized that when he walked by a window he never looked at his reflection. He realized that for years he avoided his reflection...and one day when he walked by a store he caught a glimpse of himself and didn't recognize the man. I am so proud of him!

No comments: